Saturday, March 27, 2010

Taos House

I reworked this one from a painting I did after a trip to Taos in November 2001. Snow had fallen the night before, and as usual, melted the next day. The entrance to Mabel Dodge Luhan's estate, fascinating. I had read the history of these interesting pioneers and artists who established the Taos Art Colony in many places and told in many ways. I'm getting tired of working from photos, my work is fresher and less noodley when I paint on location. Still working for the day when I can put in just enough detail (the important stuff) in just the right places and leave the rest out. I was there in 2004, I painted a lot on location that year. I'm looking forward to painting plein aire again when the wind stops blowing snow. Even my dog didn't want to go out this morning. Springtime in the Rockies=snow and mud. And the occasional break when you just have to get out there and enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment